Close to Having an Out of Body Experience!

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
matt1971
Initiate
count: 0

Post by matt1971 » July 4th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I think that I am very close to having an OBE, but every time I'm about to leave my body, I get too excited and think about my physical body, which quickly ends the sensation. At this point I recognize the sensation that signals my astral body is about to leave the physical body. I lose all sense of location and time and feel like I am in a dark void. Then I feel weightlessness and begin to fall backwards through the bed or floor. It is always at this point that my thoughts sabotage the experience. I'm not afraid of the sensation; in fact, I really enjoy it and find it exhilarating. Maybe that is the problem and I need to somehow remain calm. Does anyone else have this problem, or did they when they first began astral traveling? I would welcome any advice on how to get over this hurdle.

hydro1
Initiate
count: 40

Post by hydro1 » July 4th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Basically for me when i get excited or it gets intense like that i just take a deep breath and it calms me from excitement and anything else...but you'll have to start the last step over but its worth it.... :D
Go hard or not at all

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » July 4th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Hello Matt,

Excitement will indeed break or prevent trance states. I still have the same problem sometimes. It might happen when I haven't had a solid OBE in a few days and I have a greater desire for one. I've realized that instead of being passive, I become expectant which causes my body to unintentionally react more than it normally would.

In terms the body can relate to, one thing I do for example is to do a very high intensity but short overall body workout afternoon, not too much that it will sore muscles. This will help me relax my body at bed time. Another thing you could try is to not eat at least 3 hours before going to bed. The idea is to create a physical condition that is not so prone to mental sabotage such as excitement. To minimize reactiveness such as when one is in a meditative state. This is another reason why doing Astral Projection in the mornings is best, it can become easier to relax deeply.

In terms the mind can relate to, during the day for example, do more of the things you like, it will occupy your mind and also help you remove stress. When you try to OBE you will still have satisfying day, the thoughts of failure are just fine, there will be other interesting things to do.

This is how I think and it helps me to avoid trying to be so much in control, if not it could then create a heightened sense of expectation which then leads to excitement and even concern. Instead I try to create a state of mind in which I feel like a passive observer. This is very difficult to do especially at the beginning, but required for consistency. This is why a common recommendation is to just try it without thinking about it much, and getting into a routine that could be done often and stress free. For example to set your alarm clock an hour or more before you get up from bed in the mornings, and then try fall to sleep again following your chosen method of induction. Or just keep doing what your doing as it to works and find a way not to become concerned about failure.

Look at it as a balancing act between the body and the mind. If the body has even the tiniest condition that makes it less conducive to OBE, the mind will require a higher degree of awareness to succeed with an OBE. This also implies that there is a greater responsibility required by the mind to succeed. If we relay to much on the mind, the things that you mentioned tend to become an issues at one point or another. On the other hand, if we rely too much on the body, and not train the mind, then we will be consistently falling into unawareness.

Another way is to emphasis on indirect techniques, after succeeding a few times the excitement of the beginner would be minimized, and you would be ready for what is often said to be the harder direct techniques such as OBE attempts and WILD (wake induced lucid dream). It is up to you which techniques you choose. But at least one technique for each of the known methods for achieving lucidity should be on the table at every sleep cycle.

Good luck!
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

matt1971
Initiate
count: 0

Post by matt1971 » July 5th, 2012, 12:14 am

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I know that I am just on the border of finally discovering what an OBE is like. I've also been getting closer to attaining lucidity in my dreams as well. I'm trying to inundate my subconscious with as much information about astral travel and related topics as I can and of course I have devoted a lot of time to meditation. It seems like it is working. My dreams have definitely become much more interesting.

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » July 5th, 2012, 12:32 am

super!
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

hydro1
Initiate
count: 40

Post by hydro1 » July 5th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I was bout to say meditation should also help with you problem too..it calms you too
Go hard or not at all