How OBEs Affect You

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
kendra
Neophyte

How OBEs Affect You

Post by kendra » December 16th, 2011, 1:46 am

I wonder a lot about why people want to have out of body experiences or what it is that draws people to it. I suppose it is more than likely the perceived mystery about it. I often ask people in the chat why they started to experiment with this subject, so I guess that is mainly the reason for this post.
What is it about OBEs that has got you doing it?
Since learning about it do you think it has affected your life? If so, are the affects mainly good or bad?

Wow, I feel like I am making an essay assignment or something.

Summerlander

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Summerlander » December 17th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Curiosity led me to try Robert Monroe's method. I was astonished to find that he wasn't lying. The method, with emphasis on a pre-nap or sleep that leads one to a refreshed state facilitating entry into what he called Condition D, really leads a person to have an out-of-body experience.

The phenomenon is tied to the biggest mystery of all: consciousness. In this respect, you are right. I feel compelled to explore the unknown, because, although scary at times in this instance, it is undeniably beautiful.

My experiences have also had a massive impact on my personality and life. The phenomenon has been insightful to me. It has led me to consider perspectives that I would have otherwise ignored or not even imagine. The phase state, as I call it, has inspired my art, boosted my creativity, and has in many ways reinforce the integrity of my being.

It has helped me to face my fears, to indulge in scenarios and activities that are impossible in the waking world, to see dea people, to visit the living, to seemingly travel to other worlds, to communicate with the personas that appear to represent aspects of my Self, to put me in a great mood during wakefulness, to envigorate me and give me a buzz in general.

I don't know what else to say, it has enriched my life and everyone should be doing this.

Braveheart
Initiate
count: 20

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Braveheart » December 18th, 2011, 7:55 pm

OBEs are a spiritual thing to me. I could care less about the opinion of those stating that it should be otherwise because they are usually ignoring the fact that they're viewing it in a spiritual manner themselves without even realizing it.

I have OBEs to escape what I perceive to be a fixed system within the wakeful reality. Having OBEs affects my way of thought and I feel closer to my own being. Also, endless possibilities are awesome :D

Since I learned about OBEs the affect its had on my Life has been overall positive but I suppose it has its negatives if you allow them to seem so. For example, recently i've been going through a very annoying and uncomfortable mental state. I feel like i'm trapped in a threshold between an enlightened state and a state i'm being forced in to operate efficiently. Everyone seems to be in different mental states than i'm in which is complicated for my social life. Although I don't have trouble socializing(I have plenty of friends and a lovely girlfriend), its still a odd thing for me because everyone is in their own misguided world.
"God help thee, old man, thy thoughts have created a creature in thee; and he whose intense thinking thus makes him a Prometheus; a vulture feeds upon that heart for ever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

Lionheart
Initiate

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Lionheart » December 18th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Braveheart I believe you whole heartedly. I feel you need to embrace the Enlightened State 100%. It has changed my own life exponentially. I have given in to this state and have allowed the entire awakening to begin. Everything has changed in my life now, I am able to read people, help people, heal people, my entire life being has rosen to a higher plane. I close my eyes and I see things everyday. I make energy fields around my person and watch as people react to them. Positive people can approach me, negative people must go around me, that's kind of funny because I am now surrounded by thousands of people everyday in the middle of a busy Christmas Mall Kiosk. I am selling Himalayan Salt Lamps that help people by neutralizing positive ions. I have learned more about them from the general public that already owns them, but I have also become a beacon to people that are not only like minded but that have some kind of troubling events occurring in their lives and I seem to be the one with the answers. For some unexplained reason I can close my eyes and kind of channel their higher self (conscious) and my words seem to be what they need to hear. A lot of times I don't even understand what or why I am saying them. Everyday I go to work I drive into the mall parking lot which is extremely busy and full and have the ability to drive to the exact open spot that is going to open next close to the main doors. I call it cheating, but am loving it! :)

Summerlander

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Summerlander » December 20th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Hi, Braveheart!

The best thing to do is to leave the misguided people to their own. No matter how hard you try to make them see from your point of you, I guarantee you that they won't budge. Instead, do what you do and show them your example. They will soon be wondering how you do it and get good results.

They will soon be impressed with the way you handle your environment and be inspired. Gandhi and many other wise men had that principle. Don't worry so much about states and where you are going. Just deal with what you've got and remember to get in touch with your Buddha nature. Being wise often involves not speaking what you are thinking all the time as the initial thoughts and emotion come from your ego.

I'm glad that people pursue a spiritual path to better themselves. In fact, an individual doesn't have to believe in a spiritual path to be spiritual. As long as they do the right thing and they are well-intentioned then that is what counts. For instance, those who don't believe but will give larger portions of food to those they care about and little to themselves can be thought of as being spiritual. Those who instinctively have the burnt toast to prevent their loved ones from experiencing disgust or discomfort are spiritual. They are happy to see others happy and yet they have no religious nor mystical beliefs.

If a person does not care about having OOBEs or lucid dreams, leave them be. Tell them about it only if they ask. If they see that you are happy and excited and confident about everything they will soon wonder why! Then you can tell them about your wonderful experiences that inspire the person you are today. ;)

Braveheart
Initiate

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Braveheart » December 22nd, 2011, 12:19 am

Lionheart wrote:Braveheart I believe you whole heartedly. I feel you need to embrace the Enlightened State 100%. It has changed my own life exponentially. I have given in to this state and have allowed the entire awakening to begin. Everything has changed in my life now, I am able to read people, help people, heal people, my entire life being has rosen to a higher plane. I close my eyes and I see things everyday. I make energy fields around my person and watch as people react to them. Positive people can approach me, negative people must go around me, that's kind of funny because I am now surrounded by thousands of people everyday in the middle of a busy Christmas Mall Kiosk. I am selling Himalayan Salt Lamps that help people by neutralizing positive ions. I have learned more about them from the general public that already owns them, but I have also become a beacon to people that are not only like minded but that have some kind of troubling events occurring in their lives and I seem to be the one with the answers. For some unexplained reason I can close my eyes and kind of channel their higher self (conscious) and my words seem to be what they need to hear. A lot of times I don't even understand what or why I am saying them. Everyday I go to work I drive into the mall parking lot which is extremely busy and full and have the ability to drive to the exact open spot that is going to open next close to the main doors. I call it cheating, but am loving it! :)
Cool! I'm trying to give in too. My only obstacle is taking people along with me. I'm doing my best though and soon I will also be able to give in the state. You're story is quite inspirational :D
Summerlander wrote:Hi, Braveheart!

The best thing to do is to leave the misguided people to their own. No matter how hard you try to make them see from your point of you, I guarantee you that they won't budge. Instead, do what you do and show them your example. They will soon be wondering how you do it and get good results.

They will soon be impressed with the way you handle your environment and be inspired. Gandhi and many other wise men had that principle. Don't worry so much about states and where you are going. Just deal with what you've got and remember to get in touch with your Buddha nature. Being wise often involves not speaking what you are thinking all the time as the initial thoughts and emotion come from your ego.

I'm glad that people pursue a spiritual path to better themselves. In fact, an individual doesn't have to believe in a spiritual path to be spiritual. As long as they do the right thing and they are well-intentioned then that is what counts. For instance, those who don't believe but will give larger portions of food to those they care about and little to themselves can be thought of as being spiritual. Those who instinctively have the burnt toast to prevent their loved ones from experiencing disgust or discomfort are spiritual. They are happy to see others happy and yet they have no religious nor mystical beliefs.

If a person does not care about having OOBEs or lucid dreams, leave them be. Tell them about it only if they ask. If they see that you are happy and excited and confident about everything they will soon wonder why! Then you can tell them about your wonderful experiences that inspire the person you are today. ;)
Fantastic advice that resonates strongly with me! I like it. It's seems as if I already knew it but was having trouble putting it in perspective and making it clear as you did. May I ask at what point in your life you began to hit such realizations your self?
"God help thee, old man, thy thoughts have created a creature in thee; and he whose intense thinking thus makes him a Prometheus; a vulture feeds upon that heart for ever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

Summerlander

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Summerlander » December 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

From an early age, I was around 7 or 8 and I tended to worry about how other people felt. One day my own mother told me to worry more about myself and stop trying to please people all the time. But it was coming naturally. Overtime though, I became more of an egoist, more defensive and selfish - but never stopped caring for others. Now I try to find a balance after being inspired by the Buddha story. The string mustn't be too slack or two tight or there won't be a note. Harmony lies somewhere in between. ;)

I try to look at others as other mes and at the same time I also remind myself that I am a person too who deserves to be happy. Then there is coming to terms with things and acceptance of certain problems for peace of mind. Problems can be opportunities for improvement. and then there are the people who can call me names and hurt me. Although ignorant, they are unknowingly teaching me about myself. I can ask myself why I got upset. Why I got angry. Then I realise it is because I am still trying to please my ego and it got bruise. So I practice on letting go again. Why show my anger to them and make matters worse when our minds are already so stormy. Meditation can help to let go.

It is never disappointing to discover that we can still feel offended or angry by others. It is only a reminder that more must be done. Everything must be seen as positive. Without anger there would be no loving kindness. Situations where anger arises can be great opportunities to practice loving kindness. Soon we are free of worry and peaceful. Unaffected and not worried about the future or regretting the past. Not even death will scare us because we are simply not worry and dwell in acceptance. I believe this is the path to enlightenment. I wholeheartedly believe in Buddha's philosophy. He taught us to think for ourselves and to realise the profound truth that our minds are like limitless empty space which is radiant and anything can arise.

The thoughts and the worlds we experience all happen in mind. These illusions are like the clouds in the sky. If it is stormy, we see too many clouds and no space! We panic! But, if we are serene and awake like the Buddha, we realise the Buddha nature of reality. The clouds come and go...they don't last. The space, however, is eternal, it remains as the indestructible and intrinsic level of reality. Space in this analogy, of course, is mind.

As you can see, I love Buddhism! :D

Braveheart
Initiate

How OBEs Affect You

Post by Braveheart » December 22nd, 2011, 9:17 pm

Nicely summarized. Buddha is an amazing role model to many including myself :D Thank You for taking the time to share that.