Lucid dreaming

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
Gemma
Neophyte
count: 0

Lucid dreaming

Post by Gemma » April 22nd, 2012, 11:49 pm

Hi, total newbie here! I had a question to throw out there. I've only had two lucids dreams and I wondered if my experience of it was normal and if it would change with time. It might make more sense if I give a summary of the dreams first:

My first one I was really excited to be lucid and I started running around showing everyone I could shoot lightening bolts out of my hands because I was really dreaming. No one was overly impressed and then I "woke up". I did a reality check and thought I was awake, but actually I'd only dreamt it and went into a normal dream.

The second time I was a little more sensible and experimented with asking people questions and looking at objects and how they changed but then I was flying around and I think I eventually forgot I was dreaming and went non-lucid again.

So, in my limited experience I have acted very differently when lucid dreaming than I would if say this very moment my consciousness went into a dream. It is like the dream state effect is still affecting my behavior even though I am lucid. Is this normal or am I not really having a lucid dream then? Do you ever get to the point where you behave as rationally in a lucid dream as you would when awake or are you always under the influence of dreaming?

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Lucid dreaming

Post by Jettins \o/ » April 23rd, 2012, 11:16 am

Hello Gemma,

Congratulations on the lucid experiences :D

Yes, at times our subconscious affects your conscious thoughts and behaviors in dreams. It appears to me that since we are exploring our conscious and subconscious created scenarios for the most part, the scenario permeates our conscious mind and influences our mood, thoughts and behavior.
dream state effect is still affecting my behavior even though I am lucid.
In an a practical way our subconscious has the ability to in a sense 'talk back to us', in a direct way while in our dreams. These become our thoughts, feelings and behavior when having lucid and non lucid experiences. You many have encounters that reviled interesting things about yourself, and even the thoughts that you have under the influence of a dream scenario can be very useful.

Others think of this as levels of lucidity. At times you will have a predominant 'dream consciousness" which is associated with dreamlike behavior, even while lucid dreaming. At other times you will have a predominant "waking consciousness", which is associated with a clear and focused intent. The combination of these make up the levels of conscious awareness that you can have while in lucid experiences. Naming the scales for these differences can be helpful to understand the different possible versions of yourself in lucid dreams, out of body and dreams experiences. The goal perhaps could be to do have one best version.

To get the highest level of 'waking consciousness' in dream experiences, it is more consistently achieved with what is associated with out of body or astral projection type experiences (though not always the case), this would mean that little or no loss in concsiouness is experienced as you transition from the wakeful state into the dream state. The associated quasi physical separation of what they call the 'astral body' during OOBEs, helps in strengthening the physicality of the experience, that it is 'really' happening, hence a greater feeling of 'waking consciousness". This is generally how the best experiences can begin for me, not because of the majestic abilities, but because of the meaningfulness tends to last.

This also has to do with where our psyche is predominantly stepping into, as oppose to where in our psyche we are predominantly stepping into. Don't worry about this part just yet.

Have a great day!
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

uMonk

Lucid dreaming

Post by uMonk » April 23rd, 2012, 12:00 pm

Hey Gemma,

To add to what Jettins has already said :)

Yes, you were lucid dreaming, assuming you had clear awareness then the reason you behaved like a kid in a candy store could have just been because you were being yourself, in lucid dreams you don’t have to restrict yourself to the illusory constraints put onto you by society, so often your ego is set free, which in turn could lead to a lot of entertaining experiences, But if it’s in your personality and Will, then given time you will approach the experience a bit more constructively.

Often when most people, including myself, are in the world of the mind, they find themselves in a situation they have little control over, they will find their own subconscious seeping into the experience and polluting the scene. The reason for this is because they have entered the world of the mind without first training.. or “taming” the mind, if you want the most control over the experience then I would consider pracisting to still the mind in your free time, if you already are not doing this, the best meditation practice for achieving such a state is to focus on one thing only, like a meaningless word, repeat it over and over, you will find that soon enough your mind will wander, this shows your lack of control, the very same lack of control which will haunt you in your lucid dream, when you get distracted, bring your mind back to the meaningless word, and repeat, This will improve your focus and ability to keep distracting thoughts at bay.

Gemma
Neophyte

Lucid dreaming

Post by Gemma » April 23rd, 2012, 10:09 pm

Thanks for the responses; they are actual very interesting and useful. There is a lot written there I hadn't thought about! I definitely do need to work on meditation as I lack the discipline to get my mind to quite down! But the lucid dreaming came just after reading and article about it, so I guess I got lucky there. As for the comment around OOBE, I have to say I am a little afraid to try those. A friend of mine claimed it happened to him once unintended and he had to struggle to get back in his body, though he said it might have just been a vivid nightmare. Is such a thing possible? (Or would anyone know if it was since anyone it happened to couldn't get back to tell us...) And then I suffered with sleep paralysis occasionally as an adolescent and I have no desire to experience it again! Can OOBE training trigger sleep paralysis? I'd be interested to hear other's input on it.

Thanks again!

uMonk

Lucid dreaming

Post by uMonk » April 24th, 2012, 7:19 am

Hey Gemma,

Whilst you are waiting for others to reply, I thought I would jump in again since your experiences are very similar to mine when I was a little younger, I too experienced my first spontaneous OBE after reading about it, and prior to that I used to get sleep paralysis all the time, as a child I used to dislike falling into the paralysis state as one can imagine, however since I’ve gotten into lucid dreaming and obes I’ve learnt to bring about the sleep paralysis state myself, in fact I and many others use paralysis on many occasions as a platform to lucid dream or OBE from.

I don’t know if you are aware of this, but sleep paralysis is simply the body’s way of stopping you from physically acting out movements from your dreams, the trouble comes when one wakes up inside a sleep paralysis experience not knowing exactly what it is, sleep paralysis is an altered state, similar to that of a lucid dream, so negative thoughts can bring upon negative experiences (just like in a dream), however if you just understand that this happens to your body every night when you sleep, you can then focus your consciousness elsewhere, be it in the room or another scene entirely, if you have successfully done this then you have entered an obe/lucid dream. Again sleep paralysis is something to welcome rather than fear, often you will find your most vivid and realistic dreams/obes occur as a result of projecting from the paralysis state.

In regards to not being able to get back into your body, you can get back to your body just by thinking about it, if your physical body needs something, you will wake up, it is actually a skill to be able to stay out of body for long periods, and so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Jettins \o/
Adept

Lucid dreaming

Post by Jettins \o/ » April 24th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Great post uMonk, you touched on all the important points.

To me the fear of sleep paralysis is fear of the unknown, once you know what it is and experience it a few times after the fact it can become and interesting state to be in. It can be the catalysis to very interesting out of body and lucid dream experiences, you can learn to love it. :D

As to not being able to get back in the body, it is the equivalent of not being able to end a dream. When you gain further control of your emotions through understanding and practice, you will rather change the lucid dream or out of body scenario (if it's potentially scary, by going thru a wall for example) than wake yourself up from the experience.

Have a great day!
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Gemma
Neophyte

Lucid dreaming

Post by Gemma » April 25th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Thanks again guys. Maybe I will get over the sleep paralysis fear. In the past it was always upon waking from a negative dream and so I was already frightened before it happened. Also, it often coincided with false wakings which were unpleasant.

I was reading through a few posts here about AP and I had more questions! :D Someone mentioned having sleep paralysis and then trying to move and then having an AP, but not everything they experience was real, which I thought had to be the case for AP. So now I wonder if that happened to me once when I had sleep paralysis. I fell asleep on the couch, woke up unable to move, then after trying really hard was crawling on the ground to go get my mom (I was a teen at the time). I could see her but mostly she didn't acknowledge me and I couldn't speak. I couldn't stand up, could barely move. Finally she seemed to see me and said something, I forget exactly what it was. Then I woke again, sleep paralysis again, finally was able to get up. This time I really was awake, but the other had been so vivid I was sure it happened but knew my mom would never ignore me like that. I even asked her if she said what I heard while asleep and she denied it, so I figured it must have just been a dream.

Any thoughts?

Also if you have any good links, ect... you want to share so I quit pestering you that would be great! I'm sure a lot of my answers are probably in other posts but I'm slowly making my way through them!

Thanks!

G

uMonk

Lucid dreaming

Post by uMonk » April 28th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Thanks for sharing: D but of course only you can decipher the experience.

In terms of books and videos, I would recommend:

My Big Toe – Tom Campbell
Stephen Laberge – Lucid Dreaming
How to meditate - Lawrence Leshan

Dont believe everything you read though :D experience it before you believe it, dont disbelieve it either.

Jettins \o/
Adept

Lucid dreaming

Post by Jettins \o/ » April 30th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Hello Gemma,

thank you for asking the question. There's always other people having the same thoughts, it's good to have questions in the forms.

You might like to read the following link, it can help you motivate yourself to have a dream journal. I think remembering your dreams it's the most important thing for a beginner. It really does help you to build the habit of remembering your dreams every time in the morning. I think is very important if you want to have frequent lucid dreams.

non-lucid-experiences/why-have-dream-journal-t220.html

Have a great day :D