Last visit was: June 28th, 2017, 4:06 pm

It is currently June 28th, 2017, 4:06 pm

My Missteps over the past 10 Years

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
Ryan

Postby Ryan » October 17th, 2011, 12:06 am

I think a discussion on where we all feel we've messed up over our time practicing Astral Projection might assist some other people in not making our same mistakes. I wrote an article about this on my website which I'll link here to start us off.

http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2011/05/0 ... ten-years/

It took me over 10 years to make any real progress towards my goal of experiencing astral projection. I was thinking about this last night and I felt it might be helpful for others to know the points during those 10 years that I feel were the prime motivators for my unsuccessful attempts.

I feel that the #1 reason for my unsuccessful attempts over such a long period of time was due to the term that Robert Monroe coined: “Mind Awake / Body Asleep“. The problem with it, and a concept that I couldn’t grasp at the time was that the “Body Asleep” part is completely WRONG. Unless your goal is to actually fall asleep, go into a dream and become conscious within that dream (this is called a lucid awareness experience), then there is actually no point where you ever need your body to be put “asleep”.

Your body isn’t put to sleep as much as you make it so that the input you’re receiving from your five physical senses is greatly reduced. This begins the process for you to disassociate from this physical reality. While that’s happening focus your attention ‘within’, which is away from this physical reality.

The second biggest problem I’ve encountered is that when I was younger, I was quite impatient. I’d read through a book that had a dozen great exercises in it and then I’d go to bed and TRY THEM ALL!! *facepalms* Yeah, don’t ever do that… it’ll cause more frustration than anything. Pick a single exercise and try it out for at least a solid week.

Another issue was that I didn’t make the connection between Conscious Exits and Meditation. If you want to learn to Astral Project at any time during the day from a completely conscious state of awareness (this is called doing a Conscious Exit), then it’s just about a mandatory requirement that you learn to meditate. This was something I didn’t understand back then. The state that you should learn to get into is called the Point of Consciousness (PoC) state. It’s from there you can do most of the classic OBE techniques from. I remember one whereby you were instructed to create your own astral body using your thought power… but it never really indicated what “state of mind” you initially needed to be in to do it. I haven’t gone back to that technique, but the PoC state would be perfect for that.

So yeah, hopefully reading these will help you to move forward in the future… I’ll try to add some more of my missteps as I think of them. :)

uMonk

Re: My Missteps over the past 10 Years

Postby uMonk » October 17th, 2011, 5:31 am

Nice Thread Ryan.

I was quite lucky to experience my very first OBE after reading “Far Journeys” without knowing any techniques or even trying to OBE. I think this was a big help in getting my awareness used to the sensations and basic steps one goes through in order to project consciousness away from the “physical” body.

However like you, I agree that the most practical way to project conscious awareness elsewhere, is meditation, Although initially it is a more difficult process to master, the long term use of meditation has far greater benefits, not only in terms of projection, but it’s also a great tool to use in everyday thought processing.

Fortunately, very early on I acquired good information about meditation, and projection, From sources such as Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Tom Campbell’s my big toe, to easy projection methods similar to the one written about by Jettins here induction-techniques/topic74.html

Of course I am not long into my inner journey, so I’m sure I will be posting future missteps here.

If there was one tip I could give regarding meditation or observing hypnagogic visions at night, it would be to improve one’s concentration first, many times I used to almost fall asleep every time I would try and meditate, this showed a great lack of concentration that is not alien to our fast way of living, I recommend closing the eyes and counting upwards without losing focus to measure your levels of concentration, (20 minutes of counting without a hiccup should prove as a good foundation), For me there is a long way to go before I reach my desired level of meditation, but this was one of my first obstacles so I thought I would share it here.

Jettins \o/
Adept
AP/LD Count: 608

Postby Jettins \o/ » October 18th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I experience my first full blow astral projection experience after listening to an interview of Albert Tailor in coast to coast. I was successful with my second attempt. I was open minded to the idea since i'd had very vivid dreams, but this experience change me. I became interested in the subject, and started reading many of the books.

I feel that the #1 reason for my unsuccessful attempts over such a long period of time was due to the term that Robert Monroe coined: “Mind Awake / Body Asleep“. The problem with it, and a concept that I couldn’t grasp at the time was that the “Body Asleep” part is completely WRONG. Unless your goal is to actually fall asleep, go into a dream and become conscious within that dream (this is called a lucid awareness experience), then there is actually no point where you ever need your body to be put “asleep”.

This is something that I've also realized, from my experience and experiences from others. It reminds me of the IRC channel #ld4all. Many want to experience "paralysis", and try to induce it because it could be a precursor to an Out of Body Experience. This is understandable, yet the rational will instead encourage the experience of paralysis, not being able to leave the body or stuck in it. I think this is why Tom Campbell's research can help some understand that we create the reality, In the "Astral Realms" or what I prefer to call "States of Being". In these Sates we are functioning in a medium where consciousness must be, or its undefined. Consciousness dependent system of reality. Yet there are also apparent external "influences" in these states of consciousness, this is why its essential for each individual to have personal experiences, it is part of them. Instead of believing in "absolute truths' of some old books that have been constructed by others.
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Lionheart
Initiate

Postby Lionheart » November 7th, 2011, 7:35 pm

When I first tried to learn how to have conscious OBE's I started reading books. At one time I had PDF's on my computer by Frank Kepple, Robert Bruce and Bob Monroe. Everyday I would absorb the knowledge, then at night time I would attempt to Astral Travel. I then heard of Dr. Steve G. Jones and bought into his program. That set me back $180.00, but when I did I decided to stop reading all the other info and get onboard with one single philosophy. His techniques were great at getting to know and relax your body. But the error I made here was spending way too much time on physically leaving the body. Instead of getting away from the physical I was 100% in the physical. I then looked back at my notes from a month of work and found the pros and cons of each technique. I took a piece of paper and divided the names Bob Monroe, Robert Bruce, Frank Kepple and Dr. Steve G. Jones, I then wrote under those headings each technique and kind of graded it's success and failures due to my experiences. From here I developed my own technique. There is a ton of info now on Astral Travel and ufortunately alot of people trying to capitalize on gullible people. I can say that I have no regrets for the the $180.00 spent on DR. Steve's program. If anything it showed me my level of committment to finding success. But you can definetely become confused with everyone out there writing that their way is the right way. In the end I have chosen Phasing and can now achieve full Phase in 5-10 mins. I have always been analytical in everything I do, sometimes that can be a bad thing, fortunately it has brought success here. :)

avalinah
Initiate
AP/LD Count: 47

Postby avalinah » December 1st, 2011, 3:24 am

I completely agree to this:

I feel that the #1 reason for my unsuccessful attempts over such a long period of time was due to the term that Robert Monroe coined: “Mind Awake / Body Asleep“. The problem with it, and a concept that I couldn’t grasp at the time was that the “Body Asleep” part is completely WRONG.

when i first started, i always tried to WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) / OBE, but.. from what all the people and tutorials told me, you were supposed to let the body fall asleep. LIES :lol: all lies. because when i first experienced a true WILD, there was no point where my body falls asleep. it was just me walking on to another reality. no part where anything falls asleep. it has NOTHING TO DO with falling asleep! it was being even more conscious than in normal reality :p

and i think that really misleads a lot of people when they try to do this.

In the end I have chosen Phasing and can now achieve full Phase in 5-10 mins.

could i get some links/material/leads about this method? :)

by the way, if anyone could share how they started meditation. currently it's a thing that's a total secret to me, and no matter how i punch my head at it, nothing becomes any clearer and nobody answers any questions :lol: so if anyone could just recommend a good starting point. thanks :)

Ryan

Postby Ryan » December 1st, 2011, 10:20 am

avalinah wrote:could i get some links/material/leads about this method? :)

by the way, if anyone could share how they started meditation. currently it's a thing that's a total secret to me, and no matter how i punch my head at it, nothing becomes any clearer and nobody answers any questions :lol: so if anyone could just recommend a good starting point. thanks :)

walkthroughs/phasing-for-beginners-t82.html

:)

Return to Astral Projection - General Discussion