Last visit was: June 25th, 2017, 5:38 am

It is currently June 25th, 2017, 5:38 am

Rupert Sheldrake - The After Life Investigations

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
Jettins \o/
Adept
AP/LD Count: 608

Rupert Sheldrake - The After Life Investigations

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 25th, 2012, 1:03 am

I have taken the liberty to transcribe a few minutes of an interview with Rupert Sheldrake. I find this scholarly person particularly interesting. Written below is part of what he said in the interview regarding Dreams, Out-of-body and Near Death Experiences.

The Afterlife Investigations:

There are two circumstances when we experience our consciousness not being rooted in our brain as being located in some other body or place. The first and most important one in my opinion is in dreams. Everybody has had the experience of having a center of consciousness outside their physical body during dreams. I may dream that I am running along a road even flying and yet my physical body is asleep in bed. So every one of us has a dream body an alternative body - another kind of body that we experience subjectively from within on a nightly basis which has a world going on around it. When we are in our dreams we are centered in this body we may not always be conscious or aware of it but we always have a point of view centered in this body.

Everybody knows from the experience of dreams that we can experience our conscious being located as somewhere other than our physical body. Sometimes in dreams we dream about familiar places, sometimes we are dreaming about fantastical places that don’t really exist – but it shows that our body can occupy a space in a conscious realm of possibilities, imagination or conscious construction that’s not inside our body.

I think the best way of understanding the out-of-body and near death experiences is to see this as being close to the dream phenomena - where our dream body or something like our dream body becomes detached from our ordinary body just like it does in dreams it just that they are more clear or they are more aware of what’s going on. This does in fact occur in a particular class of dreams called Lucid Dreams, dream where people know they’re dreaming and they are aware they are in their dream body – And they can go where they like, they have gained a kind of power over the dream state. This is something that is practiced by shamans in traditional cultures and something that many people have had spontaneously on their own.

So to me the key to the question is to understand the dream body because that’s the normal experience that all of us have had, even if we’ve never had an out-of-body experience. In our dreams we have all experience being outside our normal body, in some other body or in some other center of consciousness.

The Dream Body is sometimes called the “Astral Body”. Some people call the conscious controller the out-of-body experience Astral Projection. I don’t think the world astral helps us very much, I prefer the word dream body because dream body is so clear, it’s plain English and everybody knows they have a dream body because everyone has experienced it. If you talk about astral bodies then it brings a whole esoteric literature that is rather puzzling – the word astral will suggest a connection with the starts and it’s not all obvious why you should call this dream body after the stars.

We may think of our dreams as fantastical and unreal and in many ways they are. But when we are dreaming it seems real enough to us to us and a nightmare can be genuinely frightening and it’s not just imaginarily frightening it’s really frightening. Things are actually happening in the dreams it’s not just a fantastical realm. So to dismiss our dream experiences on the grounds that it’s not real is something we do in the basis of a comparison with waking life.

Now say you float out of your body and you have a near death experience this is like being in a dream – And say it’s not a near death experience but a real death experience – what happens if you go on floating as if where trapped in a kind of dream body state in a dream body world – The difference from an ordinary dream is that you can’t wake up any longer because you don’t have a living body to wake up into. And what if survival or bodily death is rather like being in a dream from which you can’t wake up? That seems to me to be the most plausible way of thinking about it in fact because we already know from our experience we can be in a realm of consciousness experience with a kind of body in our dreams that it’s not the same as the ordinary realm.

We already know that our dreams are tremendously influenced by our preoccupations our fears our desires. We can have nightmares which are usually about trapped being unable to escape or being threatened by some destructive force like a monster. All these things may happen after we are dead and people may have a great range of different experiences after they are dead depending on the type of person they are. It might be like being in a dream from which you cannot wake up. I think it’s much easier to approach the subject of survival of body death by starting from our experience and particular our experience of dreams than it is to start with brain physiology, after we know very little about the connection between brain physiology and consciousness. The assumption in conventional science is that it’s all inside the brain I think it’s false anyway, I think our minds are fields that stretch beyond the brain.

So starting from dreams I think is the best way of beginning to understand what might be going on in these various experiences.
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Jettins \o/
Adept

Re: Rupert Sheldrake - The After Life Investigations

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 25th, 2012, 1:04 am

Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

hydro1
Initiate
AP/LD Count: 40

Postby hydro1 » August 26th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I disagree with him saying telepathy is a normal thing...when it is not it is paranormal....otherwise we all will be doing it and not scared to tell peopled about it without being labled as crazy of feared in some cases...something so powerful and hard to achieve and misunderstood as telepathy will always be paranormal until the whole human population develope it then it will be a common thing....less then half the human population is telepathic....it has a long ways to go to be just a normal thing.
Go hard or not at all

Jettins \o/
Adept

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm

What he was trying to say Hydro is that there is a prejudice by many people to label something "paranormal" simply because they do not understand it. Instead it is a natural ability, if it wasn't natural it wouldn't be possible. He did not mean to say that "natural" means that it's easy, he implied that "natural" is normal process.

Some would call out-of-body experiences paranormal, the realm of the unexplained, yet we both know that it is actually very normal and explainable indeed.

hydro1
Initiate

Postby hydro1 » August 26th, 2012, 4:29 pm

At least by our standards cause we are the ones exping them and or using them
Go hard or not at all

Jettins \o/
Adept

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 26th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Yes that's right. It just shows how many people are dogmatic about the scientific paradigm of the day. We sometimes need to use language to make it more acceptable for them. Such as calling something "paranormal" or beyond normal, when there's nothing beyond about it. It's clearly there.

Have a great day!

fairyana
Initiate
AP/LD Count: 2

Postby fairyana » August 27th, 2012, 1:37 pm

I don't like the word paranormal. Everything labeled paranormal is, in fact, very normal. Just because science cannot explain it, doesn't mean it escapes a natural law. :)
I completely agree that when the bonds with the physical brain are loosened (and that would include sleep) the consciousness is free to experience astral realms and dreams are included in this.

Jettins \o/
Adept

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 27th, 2012, 7:37 pm

I don't like the word paranormal either. I missed your post on the first quick read through the thread. I sent you a Private Message fairyana about Yoga Nidra.

Have a great day everyone!

hydro1
Initiate

Postby hydro1 » August 27th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Well thats a differ thing if you don't like the word...which word would you prefer. me normalcy just to differenciate then from everyday thing.
Go hard or not at all

Jettins \o/
Adept

Postby Jettins \o/ » August 27th, 2012, 10:05 pm

instead of paranormal, I would like it instead they said "unexplained by science". But that's just fine really, it's up each to determine which word they want to use. What bother me is that it's quickly pushed aside without consideration simply because it doesn't fit the scientific paradigm.

Next

Return to Astral Projection - General Discussion