Last visit was: June 28th, 2017, 4:05 pm

It is currently June 28th, 2017, 4:05 pm

What Astral Projection books,videos, etc., do you recommend?

This is for discussion of general Astral Projection & Out-of-body Experiences related topics.
GeeTwo
Neophyte

What Astral Projection books,videos, etc., do you recommend?

Postby GeeTwo » October 31st, 2011, 1:57 pm

^ Any particular books, literature, or other media that you found interesting? Please post what you recommend.

Chris J.
Neophyte

Re: What Astral Projection books,videos, etc., do you recomm

Postby Chris J. » October 31st, 2011, 10:02 pm

I would recommend the Frank Kepple Phasing Resource at http://www.astralpulse.com/frankkepple.html.

uMonk

Postby uMonk » November 1st, 2011, 9:20 am

One of the better OBE interviews imo. :D
Albert Taylor talks about his experiences out of body, and also mentions his technique (interrupted sleep method), Aswell as a few other tips.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » November 1st, 2011, 5:48 pm

It was a very captivating interview and thank you for posting it, uMonk! However, I found Albert Taylor a little naive...or perhaps the word I am looking for is biased...and perhaps the view he currently expresses is convenient for his fanbase. People need something to believe in...

He chose to see his unfolding book as a story about a guy discovering that he has a soul. However, empirically speaking, we all know that OOBEs (in the pragmatic sense that they are the experience of the sensation of leaving one's body) are not proof that there is such thing as a "soul". In fact, a peculiar alteration in the function of the thalamus could alter our perception of space and what would have been imagined movement during wakefulness, becomes the emulation of actual movement in the lucid dream state.

Yes, I am letting everyone know where I stand in regards to this phenomenon at the same time. I'm of the opinion that OOBEs are nothing but wake-initiated lucid dreams (WILDs) which include the sensation of separating from one's body.

Albert went through stages of understanding, he says. Naturally, anybody with a researching mind frame will inevitably go through many paradigm shifts. He eventually arrived at the conclusion that suited him, his family and his acquired fanbase best. The mention of working for NASA and being a sceptic seems like a clever gimmick to me. It is convenient to mention where he's worked. It is the same thing when books about UFOs and alien abductions are published and they always mention that "credible" and highly responsible people who have nothing to gain (but fame) have also encountered the little grey men.

The brain is computerised and highly underestimated. Many scientific tests have already shown us that we know more than we think we know. At night, the mind can create realistic worlds just as it does when it interprets the sensory input our organs get from the external world during wakefulness. All experience happens in the mind whether subjective or objective.

The doctor did explain to him what sleep paralysis was and rather well...the brain inhibits motor neurons in the spinal cord and the resultant atonia prevents us from acting out our dreams.

The content of Albert's experiences can be easily explained as the representational product of schemas. A mishmash of thoughts and the many associations (logical and illogical) that the mind makes. The worlds that surprise us in mental space, when we are not controlling the experience and making wishes, are very likely to be the focus of a portion of our unconscious mind - the reservoir buried beneath the mental ocean gathered from what we have been exposed to throughout our lives.

Albert's "could it be's" were confirmed and became true in his lucid state just as the "hope this doesn't happen's" do happen in a nightmare. He didn't have to believe in ghosts or be religious for the mind to manifest such apparitions. Every child is exposed to the concept of ghosts. The majority believe in them even if it is for a short period. As a very young child he must have believed in the many ghost stories he surely heard and such state of mind remains as a memory in his brain which can be revived at any point.

I also got the impression that part of the intention in what he was saying was to boost sales and he seemed a little awkward and hesitant towards the end when being asked questions. Otherwise, he was genuinely betrayed by his own mind. The schemas and the pre-conscious mind (to use Freudian terms) can explain what he experienced that he found so surprising.

For example, the Kosovo Conflict, which gained massive media coverage, could have prompted his unconscious to conjure the image of a ghost as his mind could have associated it with death (and he wouldn't have to be aware of this despite being lucid).

We've come a long way now in the field of neurology where research is concerned, and, because of this, we no longer have to rely solely on MRIs. Lucidity correlates have already been found and are indicative of a borderline hybrid state between dreaming and waking.

The co-founder of Microsoft is already investing in brain research. A more accurate brain atlas and its workings has already been produced. Two human brains have already been sliced and diced and there is more to come as brains can differ slightly. The research will eventually lead to the resolve of many mental health problems (like autism) let alone inspire new and more sophisticated computer products. It is practical and will help a great deal.

People of all backgrounds and beliefs experience what I have come to call the phase state (OOBEs/AP/LD). Some are more prone than others. It doesn't really matter what you believe in...we all have brains capable of playing tricks on us but you can also acquire of good understanding of the phenomenon and play with those "tricks".

I agree with Albert on one thing: it is NOT a problem. - But it is not paranormal either. In my opinion, it is very natural and there IS a physical explanation. The Albert Taylor story almost parallels the Robert Monroe one...betrayed by thoughts.

Religion does not inspire such experiences, Albert...you are right about that...in fact, it is very much the other way around. It's real, Albert...in your mind!

To finalise and stick to the topic, I have a couple of books that I would like to recommend:
The new School of Out-of-Body Travel by Michael Raduga (you will find a couple of my experiences there :mrgreen: )
and...
Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge and Howard Rheingold

Enjoy! 8-)

Jettins \o/
Adept
AP/LD Count: 608

Postby Jettins \o/ » November 1st, 2011, 8:30 pm

In short, we create our own reality.

Message to the Reader:

What you and I believe are just probabilities. Some probabilities might be more probable than others.

I would like you to arrive at your conclusions based on YOUR OWN JOURNEY. This implies that different beliefs are not just possible, but also encouraged. Think for YOUR SELF and never stop learning.

Do not believe the information in this forum as it is not necessary, instead use it as a research tool for YOUR OWN personal understanding and development. The same goes for books, etc..

I would recommend all the books on the subject, but only until you feel your ready.

I like many books, but one in particular that might not be an obvious choice to read is: "The Unanswered Question by Kurt Leland"

One last thing. Semantics (word selection, word meaning), can help trigger understanding, but don't get caught up on them for long, as they will become a distraction.

Have a great day! :D
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

uMonk

Postby uMonk » November 2nd, 2011, 3:34 pm

I'm of the opinion that OOBEs are nothing but wake-initiated lucid dreams (WILDs) which include the sensation of separating from one's body. - SummerLander.

I fully agree with you here, however i think it’s highly possible dreams and consciousness go much deeper than conventional thinking would convey, it was interesting to read about your beliefs Summerlander. :D

Edit: i have read Michael Raduga's book, Full of some pretty good techniques. I guess my favorite OBE methods are the interrupted sleep techniques available (Bedeekin, Jettins). However these days i find myself moving more towards meditation in hopes of better achieving "the phase" at any time i wish, more for personal and philosophical reasons than any other.

Which brings me to this, for anyone interested :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXKuURMgMs

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » November 2nd, 2011, 8:02 pm

Cool, uMonk!

Dreaming, whether lucid or not, may in fact go deeper than we can ever imagine. It may be tied to the question of why things are the way they are. It is a fascinating subject! I normally use the interrupted sleep technique to enter the phase. Raduga calls it the "deferred" method.

By the way, interesting video! Very philosophical! :!:

Return to Astral Projection - General Discussion