Why have a dream Journal

Discussion on Non-Lucid Topics and Normal Dreams. Questions, comments or insights regarding Non-Lucid Dreams
Braveheart
Initiate
count: 20

Why have a dream Journal

Post by Braveheart » November 15th, 2011, 6:05 pm

It's been suggested to me quite often that I should create a dream journal. Many say it will benefit me greatly in various ways including but not limited to; Accurate dream memory, increased lucidity, easier anchoring, etc. I've tried to record my dreams on many occasions but I keep coming across the same problem.

I can't remember my dreams COMPLETELY. So while i'm recording i'll hit a point where something is a bit blurry in my memory. When this happens I try to fill in as much as I can remember which than puts me into making assumptions about the missing details.

I prefer to keep my dreams unwritten because it keeps me from altering them in any fashion by accident. I still want to make a dream journal though, should I just continue to write in the hopes that my dream memory will increase gradually? Or should I just stop because it seems to be a waste of time?

I'm just looking for opinions here, Thanks. :)
"God help thee, old man, thy thoughts have created a creature in thee; and he whose intense thinking thus makes him a Prometheus; a vulture feeds upon that heart for ever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

Astralnaut
Initiate
count: 50

My issue with recording dreams.

Post by Astralnaut » November 16th, 2011, 3:34 pm

I used dream journal for about 3 weeks and stopped because i havent notest those benefits you mention. Also During those weeks i experienced less and less LD's :( It seems that dream journal does not benefit to me, but maybe it will help to you :) Try this: before going to sleep tell to yourself many times in mind that you will remember your dreams well. I used this method to get LD and it seem to work, but not always. Try this while meditating, while your mind is clear.

Goodluck :)

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » November 16th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Not having a dream journal because you cannot remember your experience COMPLETELY is in part the reason why you cannot remember your experiences well. You need to build a practice of remembering. The idea of a dream journal is to stimulate the parts of the brain causing improved memory recall and habit. This is done by the intention of wanting to remember, in other words the practice of recording in your Journal.

It is OK if you do not remember your experiences well, there is no need to lie to yourself about what you experience. All you need to concern yourself about is what you DO remember. There is no need to fill in the gaps or make up memory so that the dream "flows" in sequence.

Concern yourself about the portions you do remember even if the sequence feels disjointed. You may say for example:

"Then suddenly i find myself"
"I was looking for something in particular but do not remember why"
"It felt like i had a good reason for doing this"
"I clearly remember looking out the window, but I do not know remember why"
"I must have entered a place but don't remember how I transition to it"

You will not always remember all the experience as you write it, but having a dream journal go to back to later the same day could help you recall new vivid memories of the same experience. This is very common. Not to mention the incredible insight and possible understanding of yourself after you read older Journal entries. It can show you how your experiences are evolving. Meeting same beings, their names, particular types of experiences/missions, visiting same locations are only few examples of the things you will never realize unless you have a Journal. Knowing this will help you build a sequence in the experiences, to further unlock new experiences simply because you have awareness of it. You can then proceed with improved decision making simply because of your "knowing". In other words you have an improved plan off action in a certain situations, based on what you remember from previous Journal entries that have been significant for you.

You understanding your inner experience will help build clarity and enhance the meaning of future experience.

If you feel burdened by a dream Journal this is OK, get a little notebook so u don't feel you need to write a whole lot :P

Have a great day! :D
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Summerlander

Post by Summerlander » November 16th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Don't despair and don't give up. You are giving up too easily and overlooking the benefits of having a dream journal. It improves dream recall if applied correctly. Anything you remember, however minimal, should be recorded. Usually, the minimal stuff helps to unlock more. You will also increasing the chance of being able to identify/spot dreamsigns that will undoubtedly lead to lucidity.

For example, toilets feature a lot in my dreams so I have decided to perform reality checks every time I use the toilet - regardless of whether it seems obvious to me that I'm awake or not!

If you are usually chased in dreams by a scary character, then you may say to yourself that next time it happens you must be dreaming because it never happens (or very rare/unusual) in reality. It is also a good idea to get into the habit of asking yourself if you are dreaming. Don't just ask and decide that you are not (you can easily do this while you are actually dreaming). Actively answer your question! Perform a pinched nose test - try to breathe through blocked nostrils. Jump and see if you can remain in midair. See if you can remember what happened 5 or 10 minutes or even an hour ago (in dreams it is often hard to remember what you have just done).

The phase state (OOBE/AP/LD) can be entered before, during and after sleep. The "before" part is the most difficult. The "during" is easier but tricky. The "after" is the shortcut! Don't you want to make the "during" easy too?

Become a dream detective in order to enter the phase. You will increase your chances. You mustn't get bored or discourage with recording dreams in a journal. Even if at first you are only writing a few words. Write clues, look for patterns! Be a dream detective! Make it fun! Improving dream recall can help you with you memory in general (wakefulness). You will find many useful exercises in Stephen LaBerge's Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming by the way. If you are having problems then I highly...HIGHLY recommend that one. Steve is the Godfather! Continue to write! It is not a waste of time! 8-)

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » November 16th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Astralnaut wrote:I used dream journal for about 3 weeks and stopped because i havent notest those benefits you mention. Also During those weeks i experienced less and less LD's :( It seems that dream journal does not benefit to me
Hello Astralnaut,

I am the type of person that is always trying to understand things. The reason why it appears that your Dream Journal wasn't working is because you where not getting what you where expecting. Time and again I have realized that what I need is not what I expect. This is the process of self discovery. If you look around in our society what is expected from is simply to conform, this can lead us to wrongful conclusions. This has to do with mental blocks and other things that affect how we connect to our deeper knowing.

The idea is to have a frame set of tools in practice (ex. lifestyle, ideology) that will allow you to connect to your inner knowing. This might require a paradigm shift.

Why else would u like to have a Journal?
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Braveheart
Initiate
count: 20

Why have a dream Journal

Post by Braveheart » November 24th, 2011, 5:19 pm

You guys are beginning to give me a new perspective on having a dream journal. Thanks :)

BTW, i never lie and make up parts of my dreams. I just give them educated guesses. For example, if i remember speaking to a motherly figure yet i can't remember their image, I'll just assume it was my mother. Stupid of me I know :cry:
"God help thee, old man, thy thoughts have created a creature in thee; and he whose intense thinking thus makes him a Prometheus; a vulture feeds upon that heart for ever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

Pac
Initiate
count: 10

Why have a dream Journal

Post by Pac » April 8th, 2012, 7:36 pm

I've been using the journal for about a week, but no results I can see have came yet. I usually write my dream down in dot points and some last at least a paragraph; which I usually end up with 5 dot points. Usually when I wake up, I grab the book pad straight away, even if I don't remember anything. I lay down in bed, and I recall a part of the dream, I write it down as quick as I can, then after writing that, another thought pops into my head about the dream and if keeps coming and coming until I can think of anything I can. I'm planning on having a Lucid Dream, and in that LD I will convince myself to get SP on awakening.