First OBE Experience: Sliding off the bed

floating_hawaiian
Initiate
count: 2

First OBE Experience: Sliding off the bed

Post by floating_hawaiian » January 27th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Went to sleep tipsy around 1230-100am, coming home from the house of a friend of my girlfriend after they had us over for dinner. I woke up around 430-500. My head was spinning ever so slightly and slowly, almost like i imagined it from the combination of alcohol and dehydration. After a drink of water, i returned to sleep. At one point i was sleeping on my left side, and i had a strange feeling like my body was trying to communicate with me, trying to get me to move. I will remember that sensation from now on, because that was my body seeing if my mind was asleep, the onset of SP. After several moments, i feel a pressure on the lateral side of my right leg, starting at my ankle and travelling up my leg. I can't remember where it ended up or stopped because I started having fine fine vibrations, accompanied by a sound in my ear. It was a sound that you can hear when you close your eyes tightly, like your straining something. SP set in I got excited. My heart was racing, as this was the first onset episode I've had in nearly 3 months, in which time I just started to focus on my dreams (which paid off really well). This is the 2nd time ive experienced SP and the first time I didn't try to move because I didn't want to jinx or break it so to speak. This time around I wanted to experience the paralysis of it, so I tried moving my hand and sure enough, it didn't move right away but a second later i broke my SP when i jerked my hand . As it turned out, it was a very light or partial SP. AT some point i tried controlling my breathing, which turned heavy. SP faded, other than that nothing happened.

2 hours later, im still trying to get to sleep. As i write this, its 750. Around 730 i feel a familiar trance state. I deepen my trance and the sensations follow. With all of my intentions, I wanted to float. This part is completely new for me. I start feeling my legs drift upwards toward the ceiling, even though my physical is under a thick comforter. In my head I'm screaming "clarity now!" but nothing is happening so i move on. My legs are floating upwards while the rest of my body is still anchored. I wanted to get myself off the bed. I wanted to slide off the end of the bed and I make little progress but it got too difficult for me to do so, so instead i want to turn to the right of my bed and get off there. With my intentions, it slowly happens. I can't feel my physical body at this point and I experience the sensations of my feet floating around at my discretion. I can feel myself become upright as my nonphysical stands up and floats lazily and clumsily beside my bed. Moments pass and I slowly start receiving visions in my head, like a vivid dream. The first thing I notice is that the closet door is open (in the physical, it is closed), which is directly to the right of my bed. But instead of it being fluid, it comes like a series of rapid photos like it was filmed on a camera with a horrible frames-per-second, or like a stop animation film. All of my motions and movements are very very slow and clumsy. From the closet I look down at the ground to see that I am floating perhaps 2-3 feet above the ground. I'm starting to lose my lucidity at this point and soon enough, I find myself back in my body.

Although I am back in my body I still feel the trance so I have a go at it again. I feel light and my feet are floating again. I try to slide off the end of the bed and this time it comes so much easier and much much more fluid. My intentions had greater effect this time around. It was so bizzare, so surreal that I ACTUALLY feel myself sliding off the bed, my body moving through space to reach the end of the bed. I get up and I can see the bathroom door. When I look at the door now as im writing this, I can remember that in the non-physical I couldn't remember or see the details of the toys that were on the shelf next to that door. Back to the nonphysical, I wanted to turn 135 degrees to my left to see my girlfriend sleeping in the other twin bed that is situated to the left of my bed. I didn't want to see my own body just yet; I didn't feel that I was quite ready for it. I see from my vision that Im turning left but it is taking a LOOONG time and im moving extremely slow, just like before. I have several ideas why I moved so slowly. 1, i may have been on a lower realm, as the alcohol from the night before may have been affecting my experience and 2, I may just need to learn how to move in the nonphysical. A part of me may have been hesitant to fully commit to turning my body, as I was afraid I might turn my physical body instead and end the experience prematurely right then and there. When I finally face her bed, I can see the square patterns of her quilt, but no body. Perhaps the absence of a body is what causes me to lose my lucidity and I find myself back in my body but this time, without the energy to repeat and "exit" my body again. I am dumbfounded =)

----------------------------

NOTES:
To give you the setting, I just moved from Hawaii to the suburbs of Portland, Oregon. As I mentioned before, my last awake episode was at the end of October and since then I've been focusing on my dreams.

I found that the reason I couldn't see my girlfriend in the bed next to me was because she was completely under the comforter and the comforter was smoothed out completely, which may have led me to believe she was not there and an empty bed. An easy mistake for someone who had poor vision. The room we are in is also her 2 younger brothers, which houses 2 separate twin sized beds. We sometimes sleep in separate beds because sharing 1 twin sized is too small for us. It was just ,myself and my girlfriend in the room.

Two nights ago, I had a vivid dream of watching the sunset several times. It was so vivid, I can clearly picture the orb of the orange sun falling behind the edge of the world and ocean. I mention this because the images of the vivid dream was how I was able to see in this experience.

This experience is COMPLETELY different from what I had before. As before, there was an actual exit and I felt more like "spirit," or "soul.". I felt more like a wisp in my previous short encounter. I suspect this episode I was in one of the denser subtle bodies. I found it extremely helpful writing this down, as I am able to clarify to myself what exactly happened and in what order. I almost tried to downplay it as my imagination, but the better part of me knew that would be a lie. I felt myself move. I felt myself sliding off the bed, myself turning to see more of the room, even as I stood upright. It couldn't have been my imagination: I had the sensations. I also must report that there lacked an "exit" of my physical body. I've been giving thought about exit methods the past few months, maybe our nonphysical selves are not "stuck" in our physical body as we are illusioned to believe. Perhaps exit methods is our way of understanding the non-physical bodies and achieving that state of consciousness. Maybe its not "within" us at all. Or maybe it is, because as physics tells us, we are nothing but empty space and vibrating energy. Where does it come from? I don't know. I can't answer that, but I'm sure I've read similar theories pertaining to location of the non-physical when we are not using it. But I'm starting to believe that the focus of exit methods may actually drive us away from our goal of leaving the non-physical because it provides the dogma that we are "trapped" within ourselves. Perhaps exit methods just provide us with a better understanding of the nonphysical and the more you understand the non-physical, the easier it is for you to grasp "exiting" your physical body. I also am able to better understand how one loses lucidity during an OBE experience.

Did I feel something gripping my left leg above my ankle 5 minutes after I returned to my physical body?
Last edited by floating_hawaiian on January 27th, 2013, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairyana
Initiate

Re: First OBE Experience: Sliding off the bed

Post by fairyana » January 27th, 2013, 2:34 pm

That's awesome! Congrats!! I agree with you that the dogma that we are "trapped" may influence negatively someone trying to experience AP. It might give out the wrong mindset to many. I like to think of my soul as being much more free in relation to my body, specially during sleep.

hydro1
Initiate
count: 40

Post by hydro1 » January 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Hmm most people would call this a hallutionation on the account you were under the influence of alcohol, but i can strongly say you were having an actually o.b.e and it was awesome, altho i think you were probably in the lower astral because you were under the influence of alcohol but it doesn't mean it wasn't real it was very real hence the reason you were moving slowly. most people don't under stand that drinking and or smoking can aide in obes but you must know you won't be able to go to the higher planes of existance while under...i congradulate you tho on you first achievement. also it is good for you to remember the feelings that you exps cause it can help you keep doing it more and more.
Go hard or not at all

floating_hawaiian
Initiate

Post by floating_hawaiian » January 27th, 2013, 3:54 pm

I agree with you hydro, I probably was in a lower level. But I was relatively clean of toxins at that point, and most of the negative effects I was feeling at the time was mostly dehydration, which I fixed by drinking water. I had about 4-6 beers and it was at least 8 hours since I was drinking. But in the past, I've found that going to sleep slightly buzzed actually helped with memory recall; in one case, sleeping buzzed was the first time I dreamt in weeks. In fact, both experiences I have ever had were under the influence of something, although this time I was much more sober than the first. But having this experience, I now know what I want out of meditation, to replicate that "trance state".

But more than the influence, I think it was the sleep pattern I had. I slept for 3-4 hours, encountered Sleep Paralysis but excited myself too much to progress that way and the it came to me again several hours later. The energy was with me the entire time, I just needed to utilize it.

And as for the hallucination, its impossible for someone to hallucinate sleep paralysis. But like I said in my post, even I doubted myself but I know it couldn't have been my imagination. Its not like I was completely inebriated was more like I was in the end stages of sobering up and slightly dehydrated.

fairyana
Initiate

Post by fairyana » January 27th, 2013, 4:59 pm

There are several, several "tools" as Tom Campbell puts it, for one to lower brain activity necessary for an OBE. Even drugs and alcohol can be tools, but these are the two that may come at a cost for our health. It's wise that you seek further progress through meditation.

floating_hawaiian
Initiate

Post by floating_hawaiian » January 27th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Yes, but it wasn't like I went out and did what I did with the intentions of inducing OBE, its more like it was a side effect. Earlier that day I went to visit a metaphysical shop, which may have influenced me during the day. I also had a deep desire to return to that state. I remember that day reminiscing my previous experience that was extremely brief and wishing it would happen again. But I will try me best to make my next experience as sober as possible.

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » January 27th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Floating_hawaiian wrote:I've been giving thought about exit methods the past few months, maybe our nonphysical selves are not "stuck" in our physical body as we are illusioned to believe. Perhaps exit methods is our way of understanding the non-physical bodies and achieving that state of consciousness.
I think your raising a valid point. To me the exit strategies are a way to help us understand that we are transitioning into another state of consciousness. We have learned that our sensations are associated with the physical body, so we expect a quasi-physical or astral body to tell us what we experience. We are in “a physical body” therefore to experience being “outside a physical body” we must experience a type of separation from it. It can be used as a tool but no such thing is really necessary, only the shift in perspective is necessary. At any point we are consciously aware during a lucid dream we can jump or switch perspective, the same effect of a separation. For this you need to believe it’s possible. Similar to when a person believes that they left their body because they felt a separation from it.

This consciousness shift requires a very high level of lucidity and awareness which is usually associated with wake induced out-of-body experiences. Nevertheless, this same level of lucidity and awareness can be present during any non-physical or lucid dream experience where no separation from the physical was remembered or sensed. You can then trigger a “void area” or transitional point from within a vivid lucid dream or non-physical experience. Transitioning into the “void areas” with lucid awareness using a variety of means is equivalent to feeling the separation from the body during an OBE experience in terms of possible destination. The only difference is the associations and expectations the psyche has associated with altered states. What this means is that if your awareness is high you can associate a new expectation to aid you in the process of transitioning to the out-of-body or OBE condition.
Floating_hawaiian wrote:But I'm starting to believe that the focus of exit methods may actually drive us away from our goal of leaving the non-physical because it provides the dogma that we are "trapped" within ourselves.
It’s very clear to me that the more I process my own experiences, the easier it becomes to find myself again consciously aware of a non-physical state. This has to do with associations and expectations. I no longer feel the need to leave my body to have an OBE experience. When I gain my focused awareness I can then shift into a new dimension by simply shifting my perspective using intention. Shifting perspective using intention is the real meaning of “exiting” or “separating from the body”. I usually don’t get sleep paralysis, but when I do it’s always partial. If a person expects to become paralyzed during an OBE so that later they can try to unparalyze themselves is rather silly. This is making it harder than it needs to be all in the name of expectation and association. It appears to me that people looking for paralysis are trying to mimic the sensations other beginners have associated with out-of-body experiences. This is just fine at the beginning, but it shouldn’t be the entire focus of your practice.

I will give you an example to show you what I mean by this. When I am trying to learn a new piano song I know I have to start out very slowly to learn what I am doing, but if I always play it slow I won’t develop the technique necessarily to play it at higher speed. So I must also play it at higher speed as I am learning it to see if the technique will work in the future when I have more skill. It reminds me of the turtle racing the horse. If I think I can play the song at higher speed simply because I can play it slowly, I would be like the turtle stressing itself out moving its tinny legs very quickly thinking that it’s moving fast. Then the horse in one single step would cover a much greater distance. This should be the goal.
Floating_hawaiian wrote:Perhaps exit methods just provide us with a better understanding of the nonphysical and the more you understand the non-physical, the easier it is for you to grasp "exiting" your physical.
I agree. The better we understand the non-physical the better we can remove the blocks such as fear, paralysis and even ignorance that prevent us from realizing we may be already there.
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S

Jettins \o/
Adept
count: 608

Post by Jettins \o/ » January 27th, 2013, 7:03 pm

I have included the reply from Michael Beloved to this post.
MiBeloved wrote:it has to do with identifying the self as a subtle body, as the body which is used in Out-Of-the-Body Experiences (OBE) or astral projections.

We are born, or we are endowed by nature, with the I-am-the-physical-body consciousness. This is actually a gift of nature, but it is a gift which we can get stuck with.

We should try to listen to psychic nature which in turn, wants to endow us with dream consciousness, OBE experiences and the like, where we identify the self as the body used in those experiences.

The least we can do is to add to the I am the physical body consciousness, where we can truthfully say I am a physical body but I am more than this, I am also a dream body, I am a body which separates from the conventional physical me.
Image Would you like to contact me via live chat? You can via Skype. Contact me ahead of time so we can arrange. Skype username: J.E.T.T.I.N.S